High Quality Meat and Fish Pie Pastry with Snacks
1. All purpose floor ( 4 cups)
2. Butter/margarine (3/4 of a stick)
3. Eggs (2-3 eggs, option)
4. Salt ( ½ -tablespoon)
5. Cold or cool water (3/4 cup
1. Meat (2 lbs, use mince beef)
2. Seasoning cubes(to taste but 1 bullion should be enough)
3. Potato (3-4 preferably, non sweet small to medium sized potatoes, e.g, Irish potato)
4. Curry(to taste, optional)
5. Pepper and salt (to taste)
6. Any other spice you may like to add, to taste (optional)
Remember, it is advisable to start with the filling first before you work on dough.
Now, start with Filling:
1. Put the mince meat in a pot of medium heat over the stove . Firstly, just add the seasoning cubes and salt to taste.
2. Wash the potatoes, peel off the skin and dice into little cubes les than ½ inch in length
3. Next, put some water into a pot and allow to boil. Then add the diced potatoes and a little salt to taste.
4. The potatoes should be fully cooked under 15 minutes because of their sizes
5. Drain the potatoes and minced meat. Now it time to add other ingredients, like pepper, curry, and other spices you chose to use
Please take note of these information:
While on the other hand you were cooking the minced meat, there will be a lot of oil produced, after adding the potatoes the oil will be absorbed by the potatoes .
Remember that the potatoes may begin to have a texture like a mashed potatoes, nothing is wrong with this development. However, still have some whole potato chunk in the mix. You get this done by splitting the cooked diced potatoes into two parts, mix the first part with the cooked minced meat thoroughly and add the second part latter. (Mix it just slightly)
It is now time for the Dough:
1. In a bowl, add the flour and salt and mix thoroughly
2. Add the butter and the margarine, mix well until the butter blends into flour mixture
3. Take one of the eggs and separate the egg white from the egg yoke. Keep the egg white aside for now. Reason: the egg white is used to give the meat pie a shiny gloss finish-i.e. aesthetic reason.
Note: You may not worry about this step if at the next step you are not using eggs-OK
4. Add the other eggs to the one yoke, beat and add to flour mixture
5. And Finally, add the cold water gently and slowly, then mold until you have a thick mixture
The variety of spices and the total amount used depends on personal taste.
Mix well all ingredients except chicken . Place in a pie shell and top with either a pastry lid or the cooked chicken pieces. Bake in 350 Degree F oven for 45 minutes to an hour, or until pastry is golden brown and the filling set. You can serve, when hot or cold. ( Time frame: 6-8)
1. Break off a small pieces of dough and flatten with a rolling pin
2. Add the filling and then seal up the whole by folding one end of rolled out dough against the opposite end
3. You can use fork to seal off the edges
4. This is just a beautiful thing, but you can also use a fork to poke holes on top of the pie. This idea is not to make an incision that goes all the way through the top of the dough because the filling may try to get out during baking and mess up the beauty of the final product
5. Repeat above 4 processes until either dough or filling is exhausted
6. Now, use the egg white and brush to glaze the top of the meat pies
7. It is now time to bake. Preheat the oven to 40 Degree F
8. Put meat pies in oven and allow to bake from 12to 20 minutes ( watch brown color)
9. Once done, take out of oven and allow to cool. Done deal. Serve with some kinds of refreshing drinks.
Extra Information On Fish Pie:
Have it at the back of your mind that the above method used in preparing meat is also used in preparing fish pie. All you need to do is to use fish in place of meat.